Sunday, November 6, 2011

Death of a Father

The father of a good friend of mine passed away last night. I had really mixed emotions in response to the news. You might be thinking how could you say that? But in my defense, I feel like the family is feeling similar. Over ten years ago my friend's father had a major stroke that left him very handicapped. He has been unable to speak and walk ever since. It has been a very trying experience for his family and he has been sick a lot. It is actually a miracle that he lived as long as he did. Doctors told the family that most people would have died after all the times he had pneumonia and other major illnesses on top of his deteriorated situation. So really the last ten years have been a great blessing for this family. Recently, as I talked with my friend about his dad he said the his father just was too stubborn and really loves his family. So in that aspect I am really sad for the family. It is never a good thing to be separated from our loved ones, and this is a very long term separation. Luckily, I am a man of faith and last night as I was praying for this family I had a renewed sense of peace, love and hope. I am so grateful to know that death is not the end. My belief in the afterlife is something that truly gives me strength in life. I know that this man is in a better place, and can once again communicate. I know that one day he will receive a resurrected body, meaning a perfected form of his earthly body, one that is not subject to disease, infirmity or other ailments. I know that this man will one day be reunited with his wife and family and once again be able to hug them, kiss them and tell them with his voice how much he loves them. This is why I have mixed feelings. I am sad that he is gone, but excited that he can be with his loved ones and will one day have a body that is not confined to a wheel chair. I post this at risk of being too personal, but my faith is what sustains me in life, in all aspects of life, whether it be in great tragedies like death or beautiful beginnings like marriage or the birth of a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment