The hunt has once again come and gone. I would have liked to be able to say I brought home a nice big buck, but I figure I spent most of my luck allotted to this year somewhere else. As I think about it though, I have really been lucky this year. This last summer I got a great internship when the position was originally given to someone else. It turns out the other guy got a better offer and that left me as the next best candidate. It would have been nice to not have been the back up, but in this case it didn't matter, and the summer became very profitable. I also took the LSAT in preparation for law school and scored in the 94th percentile. That means that out of all the people who took the LSAT when I did, only 6 in every 100 people did better than me. That, I feel, is something I spent a lot of my luck on. I'm pretty sure those two experiences really stole most of my luck for the year, and the rest I'm saving up for my law school applications. So in the long run, I feel like not wasting some luck on hunting is an alright thing.
You might be wondering what the title of this post has to do with my lucky experiences or the lack thereof. Well, to be perfectly honest, I originally planned talking about something entirely different than luck in this post, but the keyboard led me to what we now have. As to the pale morning sun, I spent the last two days watching the sun come up as I sat on a mountainside straining my eyes and ears trying to find a buck. Before the sun would rise above the horizon I usually was literally freezing my toes off. Friday I definitely lost feeling to my toes for a while, and my fingers didn't fare much better. As the sun would finally show her face I would always be very glad for the warmth she promised. Unfortunately, she was about as warm as the seventy year old nun is who regrets her decision to forgo marriage. The sun showed her smiling face but withheld her warmth, and I continued to stare at the mountain. This short paragraph makes hunting sound entirely miserable, but I assure you that hunting isn't all that bad, just this particular part of hunting is definitely not for the weak or cold blooded.
In the end, the week was really good. I got a lot of exercise and I got to experience the mountains in a way few people probably do. This world in which we live is absolutely amazing, and I am glad to be blessed enough to have seen the miracle of nature (I'm not talking about birth).
Are you sure it's luck? I don't so much believe in luck. Or that it gets used up.
ReplyDelete