Sunday, November 20, 2011

Debonair

So ever since the beginning of the month I have been growing out my mustache. I really like how that word can be spelled moustache or mustache, but according to dictionary.com the latter is the US spelling. Because I dwell among the free and the brave, I guess I will spell the awesome growth of hair on my upper lip as so: mustache. You might be wondering why I would do such a seemingly nasty thing as to grow a mustache. You are not alone. Actually by wondering and asking me you are helping me to accomplish my goal. You see, the month formerly known as November has be renamed as Movember, all in an effort to raise men's health awareness. If this tidbit of teasery has tickled your fancy I would mosey on over to the website www.movember.com for further information concerning Movember. To put it simply though, men dedicate their upper lip to the month of Movember to help raise awareness of health issues men can come by and to promote and encourage me to be manly enough to visit the doctor. It is a little ironic that I am doing this since I really dislike going to the doctor's office, but I wanted to do what I could. The whole thing is kind of like a breast cancer awareness month but for men. I wonder if during breast cancer awareness months women should go around topless? Just a thought...Back to the story. I don't really grow that strong of a mustache and usually am ashamed of the fact since I grow, in my opinion, a pretty sweet beard. This month however I have overcome myself and reveled in the questions and stares. I even had a professor stop mid-sentence and ask if I was growing a mustache. I consider that my great mustache victory of Movember. Today was another victory as I walked into my wife's grandparent's house. Her grandma looked at the both of us and said "what have you done to your face?" I was laughing because my wife has some bruises on her face from when she was attacked by a squirrel and thought the comment was directed to her. To my astonishment, however, my wife's grandma then asked if I was growing a mustache. I replied that I was and then she said I looked debonair and if you threw a cowboy hat on my head and pistols at my hips I'd look just like a cowboy. I thought this was awesome. I've never been called debonair before, and to think all I had to do was grow a mustache (which most find creepy). I knew the definition of debonair, but just in case you don't dictionary.com states

deb·o·nair

[deb-uh-nair]
adjective
1.
courteous, gracious, and having a sophisticated charm: a debonair gentleman.
2.
jaunty; carefree; sprightly.
Also, deb·o·naire, deb·on·naire .

Origin:
1175–1225; Middle English debone ( i ) re < Anglo-French; Old French debonaire, orig. phrase de bon aire of good lineage

deb·o·nair·ly, adverb
deb·o·nair·ness, noun


1. urbane, suave, elegant, polished.

Polished is by far my favorite synonym. So here is to men's health awareness and to becoming debonair!

No comments:

Post a Comment