Sunday, November 13, 2011

Near Death Experience

I find it odd that my last post was about death. This post is better since nobody died, but a lot more scary since I almost witnessed someone's death. I work at a library and occasionally have to work late Friday nights. This last Friday I was working and my co-worker seemed really tired. I joked with her that if she would watch a movie on the computer then she would be able to stay awake. She was working at the front desk where people check books in and out, and I was in the back scanning documents where I couldn't see her. About an hour after I had checked on her somebody rang the bell asking for service. I thought it strange that my co-worker hadn't helped the patron, but I went up front to help anyway. When I got to the counter I saw that my co-worker was slumped over. The patron asked if she was alright and I told him that she was probably just sleeping. The patron then said that he had tried to wake her up, at which point I became a little worried. As I looked closer at her I could tell something was wrong, and when I tried to wake her she was totally unresponsive. We figured she might be diabetic so I called my boss to confirm this and then we called 911. The paramedics came and helped us resuscitate her. Her blood sugar had dropped to 43 when you are supposed to maintain it at 100. If the patron hadn't come by, I wouldn't have known that anything was wrong and would have left her there slumped over in a diabetic coma for over three hours. The paramedics were able to stabilize my co-worker, but the experience was really frightening, especially thinking about how she could have died. It turns out that my boss had given a training meeting on the fact that this co-worker was diabetic and had experienced this at work before. Unfortunately, I have a class every time my boss gives a training meeting so I was the only employee that didn't know what to do. I don't really know if there is a moral of the story other than to be really careful if you are a diabetic and maybe to pay attention in training meetings, but this experience definitely gave me a crazy start to my weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment