Sunday, December 11, 2011

Yield To Pedestrians

In my last post I referenced how I used to have a temper. On occasion this temper got the better of me, especially in sports, and I would sometimes get into "verbal disagreements." I am proud to say that I have never been in a fist fight. I have unfortunately been quite close on multiple occasions. Needless to say, this isn't the best trait to have and for that reason I have repeatedly tried to suppress this emotion. I have been pretty successful at it, but this last week I might have had a little bit of a relapse.
For this to make sense you need to understand something about me. I have this sense of duty and justice that at times seems a little extreme, but for me is real all the same. While reading a biography of Abraham Lincoln I came upon this great quote from our former president, "Let us have faith that right is might, and let us in that faith, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it." I love the simplicity of it, but also the power in saying Do what you are supposed to do. Now that you understand that, we can begin the story.
It was lunch time on Thursday, and I was walking to my next class with some friends. We had to cross a street so we waited at the cross-walk until it was appropriate to cross. As we started out a bunch of cars on the opposite side of the street sped up so that they would not have to stop. Some were still crossing in front of us (now going much faster than they should have) as we were getting to the side of the street where they would be able to hit us. I was a little perturbed by the idiocy of the situation and yelled "are you kidding me!" Another side note--I come from a state where there is an unwritten code of driving ethics that involves being courteous and driving in a way that others can feel safe. Currently I live in a state where it is a mad dash to drive as crazy and fast as you can to simply stop at the red light in front of you. It drives me crazy how people are in such a hurry to get nowhere that they will often endanger other drivers and pedestrians--Enough of that rant and back to the story. Like I said, I was a little mad that the people decided they would rather speed up and risk hitting me only to hit the red light three hundred yards away, instead of slowing down and yielding so I could safely cross. As I yelled at the cars a motorcyclist just so happened to be driving by as well. He evidently heard me as he turned into the parking lot about fifty feet away and waited. He was a big Polynesian guy, and when he pointed in my direction I thought it might be to acknowledge the Polynesians walking behind me, but I pointed back just in case he was directing his point to me, I mean I didn't want to be rude :) As I got closer to this guy he called out "Did you say something to me?" and I immediately replied, "Ya I said are you KIDDING ME?" I don't think he liked that as he started to follow me on his motorcycle saying things to the extent of "Did I hit you?" I responded that he hadn't but then informed him that it is the law to yield to pedestrians, especially when they are legally crossing on a crosswalk. He really didn't like this and we bantered back and forth while my friends tried to pull me away. I understand their reasoning, because had this come to blows I am pretty sure I would have become pretty bloody and most likely lost consciousness (this guy was big). Anyway, luckily it didn't come to that but I did have the last word telling the guy to go back to driving school.
Yes this whole exchange was fairly childish of me and I should have just let it go, but like the quote I feel that right is might, but I also feel that right is right no matter what. I especially feel so when it comes to driving safely and protecting pedestrians. I also feel that right is right even when you might get your face caved in. I actually think that is what gives me the thrill of talking back. Because as I look back in my life the majority of my "verbal disagreements" that could have resulted in blood and warfare were with guys who outweighed me by at least 50 pounds. It must have to do with the enjoyment I found from fighting my older brother which I always lost. Maybe by being a younger brother I am bound to pick fights that are beyond my capabilities, but you know what, I'm willing to be the superhero who stands up for what is right but always gets beat up, because like my buddy Abe said right is might.

No comments:

Post a Comment